This page contains the most current resources and information created or compiled by the CPhA COVID-19 taskforce. This is an ongoing and developing situation with new information available on a daily basis. Please use this page to access the most current updates. For general resources and updates, visit our COVID-19 webpage at https://cpha.com/covid19/.
- January 21, 2021 Recording
- January 21, 2021 Presentation
- February 18, 2021 Recording
- February 18, 2021 Presentation
- March 18, 2021 Recording
- March 18, 2021 Presentation
- May 20, 2021 Recording
- May 20, 2021 Presentation
Pharmacy staff are in Phase1A vaccine distribution. Please check with your local public health department for more information and updates. To make an appointment in the following counties, please click the links below:
Intramuscular Vaccine Administration and Dose Prep Video for Immunizers A refresher video to support immunizers review proper preparation and administration of intramuscular vaccinations. Published January 26, 2021.
COVID-19 Phased allocation approach for California: The California Pharmacists Association (CPhA) has published a phased allocation approach infographic for pharmacy practitioners in California. Published January 7, 2021. Last updated January 7, 2021.
Board of Trustees Position Statements on COVID-19: The California Pharmacists Association Board of Trustees (CPhA BOT) has released position statements on the topics of “Protecting pharmacy personnel during public health crisis”, “Pharmaceutical safety and access during emergencies”, and “Scope of practice”. Published March 23, 2020. Last updated April 7, 2020.
Recommendations for Infection Control Standards and Precautions for Pharmacy Personnel: A collection of recommendations for infection control standards and precautions for pharmacy employers, personnel, and patients in the pharmacy setting amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Published March 27, 2020. Last updated June 3, 2020.
Return to Work Criteria for Healthcare Personnel: A flowchart to determine when it is appropriate for employees to return to work after having confirmed or suspected infection with COVID-19. Published March 31, 2020.
Exposure to COVID-19 in the Workplace: A collection of recommendations for how to handle confirmed or potential exposure in the pharmacy setting, including information for employers, facilities and personnel and a flow chart for risk assessment of personnel. Published April 13, 2020.
COVID-19 Testing Overview: An overview of COVID-19 tests and answers to frequently asked questions from pharmacy professionals regarding testing. Published April 23, 2020.
Summary Table of COVID tests: A summary of current FDA approved COVID-19 tests which will be updated on a weekly basis, as needed. Published April 29, 2020. Last updated June 2, 2020.
COVID-19 Testing Pathways: A resource outlining the two distinct testing approaches and considerations for pharmacists. Published April 17, 2020.
Point of Care Testing (POCT): A decision tree for pharmacists ordering or administering point of care tests (POTC) with specific considerations. Published April 22, 2020.
COVID-19 Laboratory Test: A decision tree for pharmacists ordering laboratory tests for COVID-19 with specific considerations. Published April 28, 2020.
HRSA COVID-19 Uninsured Program: CPhA letter with information about Medicare Reimbursement for COVID-19 Testing & Treatment. Published April 29, 2020.
Glossary of COVID-19 Billing Codes: A document with common codes that may be needed to submit medical claims for reimbursement of COVID-19 testing and related services. Published June 3, 2020.
Recommendations for Immunization Services: A collection of recommendations for resuming or continuing pharmacy-based immunization services during COVID-19. Published June 3, 2020. Last updated June 17, 2020.
COVID-19 Administration, Screening, and Consent Form: Ready to use form for documenting and administering COVID-19 tests within your pharmacy. Published September 17, 2020
- ACIP Recommendations
- The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Interim Recommendation for Allocating Initial Supplies of COVID-19 Vaccine
- The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Interim Recommendation for Use of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
- The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Interim Recommendation for Use of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
- Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Currently Authorized in the United States
- Interim Considerations: Preparing for the Potential Management of Anaphylaxis at COVID-19 Vaccination Sites
- Interim Considerations for COVID-19 Vaccination of Healthcare Personnel and Long-Term Care Facility Residents
- Post Vaccine Considerations for Healthcare Personnel
- Post Vaccine Considerations for Residents
- FAQs about COVID-19 Vaccination
- COVID-19 Vaccination
- Healthcare Professionals: Preparing for COVID-19 Vaccination
- COVID-19 Vaccination Planning
- COVID-19 Vaccination Provider Support
- COVID-19 Vaccine Training Module
- Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit (Updated with COVID-19 Vaccine Storage and Handling Information)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Program Interim Operational Guidance for Jurisdictions Playbook
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Program Provider Agreement Form
- Your Health – COVID-19 Vaccines
- COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit
- Toolkit for Healthcare Providers
- Immunization Branch
- California COVID-19 Plan (Interim Draft)
- California COVID-19 Vaccination Program
- COVID-19 Vaccine Planning
- COVID-19 Vaccine Planning Questions & Answers
- Vaccine Taskforce Committees & Workgroups
- COVID-19 Training and Resources
- CA COVID-19 Provider Enrollment Portal
- CDPH Provider Enrollment Worksheet
- California Immunization Registry
- Immunization Action Coalition
- CDC/IDSA Learning Network
- Resources for Developing Mass Vaccination Clinics
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)
- COVID Vaccine Facts
- Answering Common Questions About Herd Immunity and Vaccination
- FDA VRBPAC Meetings & Materials
- CDC ACIP Meetings & Materials
- Clinical Trial Publications
- Global Information About Pfizer‑BioNTech COVID‑19 Vaccine
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Letter of Authorization
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Fact Sheet for Patients
- Local Reactions, Systemic Reactions, Adverse Events, and Serious Adverse Events: Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
- Pre-Vaccination Form for Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (CDC)
- Global Information About Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Letter of Authorization
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Fact Sheet for Patients
- Local Reactions, Systemic Reactions, Adverse Events, and Serious Adverse Events: Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
COVID-19 Testing Considerations:
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) Guidelines on the Diagnosis of COVID-19
- Infectious Diseases Society of America Guidelines on the Diagnosis of COVID-19: Serologic Testing
- CDC Evaluating and Testing Persons for COVID-19
- CDPH Expanded Access to Testing: Interim Guidance on Prioritization for COVID-19 Laboratory Testing (05/01/2020)
- CDPH Updated Interim Guidance on Prioritization for COVID-19 Laboratory Testing (04/19/2020)
- Laboratory Information
- CDPH Testing for COVID-19: PCR, Antigen, & Serology
- California Guidance on Indications for COVID-19 Serology Testing
- California Guidance for COVID-19 Antigen Testing
Providers should report COVID-19 test results to their local public health departments.
COVID-19 Claims Reimbursement: CPhA is actively working to advocate for and clarify payment for pharmacy-based testing services. Here is a list of the currently available information.
- Medicare Payment: CMS announces a pathway for the pharmacy billing of COVID-19 tests through Medicare.
- Medicaid Information
- HRSA COVID-19 Uninsured Program: COVID-19 Claims Reimbursement to Health Care Providers and Facilities for Testing and Treatment of the Uninsured
- Information from major payors:
○ Blue Shield of California
- Guidance Documents
- NCPDP Issues COVID-19 Guidance for Pharmacy-led Testing: NCPDP Emergency Preparedness Information document provides guidance to assist pharmacists in their expanded role of administering tests, including serology tests, and other services in the COVID-19 pandemic and global public health crisis.
- CMS Rule Update for Pharmacists: CMS released new regulations addressing pharmacists’ testing and patient care services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines:
- Clinical practice guidelines from the National Institute of Health (NIH).
- Infectious Diseases Society of America Guidelines (IDSA) on the Treatment and Management of Patients with COVID-19.
Assessment of Evidence for COVID-19-Related Treatments: ASHP provides an evidence table, that is regularly updated, to help practitioners better understand current approaches related to treatment and care.
NIH LitCovid: LitCovid is a curated literature hub for tracking up-to-date scientific information about the 2019 novel Coronavirus, providing central access to relevant articles in PubMed.
Nasopharyngeal Specimen Collection Training: This training module will provide you with the information you need to safely collect COVID-19 specimens for testing. It will cover the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and the proper technique for collecting COVID-19 specimens for testing.
CPR/BLS/ACLS Resources for Healthcare Providers</span: American Heart Association (AHA) updates CPR guidelines to address patients with COVID-19.
California Department of Public Health (CDPH): Guidance documents from the California Department of Public Health.
- California Coronavirus Testing Task Force
- Guidance for Hospitals Regarding Allocation of Scarce Medications for COVID-19
- Remdesivir Distribution Fact Sheet
FDA Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA): Diagnostics: This page lists current and terminated Emergency Use Authorizations that make available diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices to diagnose and respond to public health emergencies. This includes EUAs for Personal Protective Equipment, In Vitro Diagnostics, and Ventilators and Other Medical Devices for COVID-19.
FDA Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA) – Therapeutics: This page lists current Emergency Use Authorizations for COVID-19 therapeutics.
FDA EUA Authorized Serology Test Performance: For this page, FDA has summarized the expected performance of the tests it has authorized based on the information FDA reviewed when deciding whether or not to grant these tests an Emergency Use Authorization.
Guidance for Healthcare Facilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic: CDC Guidance on infection prevention and control recommendations for healthcare settings
Guidance for Pharmacies during the COVID-19 Pandemic: CDC guidance for pharmacy staff to minimize risk of exposure to the virus and reduce the risk for customers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Healthcare Facilities: Managing Operations During the COVID-19 Pandemic: CDC guidance to operate
effectively during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Framework for Healthcare Systems Providing Non-COVID-19 Clinical Care During the
COVID-19 Pandemic: CDC guidance to provide healthcare systems with a framework to deliver non-COVID-19 health care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Additional CDC Recommendations for Healthcare Personnel:
OSHA Guidance on Control and Prevention of COVID-19: OSHA has developed guidance documents for employers to protect workers and prevent exposure to COVID-19.
Apply for CLIA Certificate: Pharmacies who want to become a laboratory for the purpose of performing point-of-care tests should apply for a CLIA Certificate of Waiver. In California, both state forms (California Department of Public Health) and federal forms (CMS) must be completed.
Apply for NPI & Medi-Cal ORP Provider Status: Pharmacists who want to submit claims to Medi-Cal for advanced pharmacy services must register as an Ordering, Referring, and Prescribing (ORP) Provider to enroll as a Medi-Cal provider.
- To apply for a Type 1 (Individual) NPI, visit the National Provider Identifier page of the National Plan & Provider Enumeration System website. Follow the instructions to get an NPI.
- After obtaining an NPI, log into PAVE and complete the ORP Provider application.
Drug Shortage Resource: Log into the AHSF Drug Information Database using complementary credentials provided by ASHP (Username: email@example.com; Password: covid-19). Click on the Shortages tab to view more information. Available for a limited time.
Community Pharmacy Best Practices for COVID-19 from CPESN® USA Pharmacies: Pharmacy focused strategies, protocols, and other practice tools that are being used by community-based pharmacies in a clinically integrated, nationwide Accountable Pharmacy Organizations.
Practical Information for Pharmacists to Know: APhA provides practice-based resources for pharmacists, including clinical-care of patients and managing your pharmacy.
Information from the Joint Commission: Resources and guidance from the Joint Commission during COVID-19.
Information from the Drug Enforcement Administrations (DEA): Resources and guidance from the DEA for prescribers and pharmacists during COVID-19.
Pharmacy Law Waivers from the California Board of Pharmacy: Current pharmacy law waivers issued by the California Board of Pharmacy during the declaration of emergency due to COVID-19. Please contact us for questions about waivers and click here for information on how to request a waiver.
The CPhA COVID-19 taskforce is composed of members with expertise in infectious disease, community and health-systems pharmacy practice settings, government relations, and public health as it pertains to pandemics. The Taskforce meets on a semiweekly basis to discuss, evaluate, and approve recommendations and resources to keep CPhA members informed of the latest developments related to COVID-19.
The taskforce members include: Richard Dang, PharmD, APh, BCACP (Chair) (Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacy, USC School of Pharmacy); Naomi Florea, PharmD (Chief Pharmacy Officer, Choice Care Concierge Medicine); Jeff Goad, PharmD, MPH, FAPhA, FCPhA, FCSHP (Professor, Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Chapman University School of Pharmacy); David Ha, PharmD, BCIDP (ASP/Infectious Disease Pharmacist, Stanford Medicine); Virginia (Giny) Herold (Former Executive Officer of the California Board of Pharmacy); and Linh Lee, PharmD (Director of Health and Wellness/Pharmacy, Ralphs Grocery Company).