LGBTQIA+ patients may experience many barriers within healthcare including discrimination, stigma, and fear. This not only negatively effects their wellbeing, but also their ability to access helpful and adequate healthcare. To provide support to all pharmacy professionals, the California Pharmacists Association and a special taskforce of qualified individuals have compiled important LGBTQIA+ resources to provide better service to your patients.
Often times, awkward situations and negative experiences come from oversight or mistakes made by well-meaning staff who lack understanding and knowledge about navigating the health of LGBTQIA+ patients. This group of patients is very diverse and can also have any other number of factors that may be effecting the quality of their healthcare (such as: race inequality, economic hardship, language barriers, religious beliefs, etc.). Taking away negative stigmas, informing yourself on the issues, and becoming familiar with the appropriate language to use and questions to ask are the first steps you can take in becoming a better LGBTQIA+ ally pharmacist!
Healthcare Equality Index National LGBTQ benchmarking tool that evaluates healthcare facilities’ policies and practices related to the equity and inclusion of their LGBTQ patients, visitors and employees.
- Criteria 1: Non-Discrimination & Staff Training
- Criteria 2: Patient Services & Support
- Criteria 3: Employee Benefits & Policies
- Criteria 4: Patient & Community Engagement
- Healthcare Equality Index – Facilities Finder/Map
- Human Rights Campaign
- The Fenway Institute
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health
- Do Ask, Do Tell: A Toolkit for Collecting Data on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in Clinical Settings
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- CDC: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Parents, Families, and Friends of LGBT People (PFLAG)
- Family Acceptance Project
- Services & Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders (SAGE)
- LGBT Aging Project
- Bisexual Resource Center
- National Network of STD Clinical Prevention Training Centers (NNPTC)
- AIDS Education and Training Centers
- GLBTQ Domestic Violence Project
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) – The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding
- The Joint Commission. Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient and Family-Centered Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Community: A Field Guide
- Healthy People 2020/2030. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health.
- Grant JM, Mottet LA, Tanis J, et al. Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey. Washington: National Center for Transgender Equality and National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, 2011
- The HRC/APhA Transgender and Gender Diverse Pharmacy Resource Guide
- Created by the Human Rights Campaign and APhA
- Provides a glossary of common terms in regards to transgender individuals, how to provide transgender-inclusive care to patients in the pharmacy setting, including triaging common issues faced in regards to pharmacy care (i.e. insurance claims, proper use and dispensing of supplies for HRT)
- UCSF Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People
- Guidelines for gender-affirming care for transgender patients (medical and nonmedical) and primary care considerations for transgender patients such as sexual health, mental health, preventative care, legal document assistance, etc.
- Compliment to the WPATH Standards of Care and Endocrine Society Guidelines
- Recommendations are graded based on populations research was conducted, strongest form of evidence, and overall strength of recommendation.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health. (2012). Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender-Conforming People [7th Version]
- Clinical guidance for healthcare workers of transgender, gender nonconforming people. Includes gender-affirming care and primary care with special considerations for the unique needs of trans patients.
- Louisville Lectures Internal Medicine Lecture Series Podcast
- Out of Bounds, The Assault on Trans Youth
- LGBTQ Healthcare & The Role of The Pharmacist- A Conversation with Dr. Jay Holloway, PharmD
- Pharmacists Focused on LGBTQ Communities | Transforming a Nation
- LGBTQ Rx: Pharmacist Perspectives