Changes in legislation in California have increased pharmacists’ authority for prescribing nicotine replacement therapy and have created a clear path to reimbursement for smoking cessation services. Meanwhile, the prevalence of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) such as vape pens and e-cigarettes have continued to rise and have changed what it means to be a “smoker”. This interactive session will provide guidance on the development and implementation of pharmacist-led smoking cessation programs. The evidence for the safety and efficacy of ENDS for smoking cessation will be presented and discussed.
At the completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe the new legislation in California for pharmacists regarding smoking cessation and the provision of nicotine replacement therapy
- Describe the first-line pharmacologic options for tobacco smoking cessation
- Discuss the current evidence for the safety of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) and FDA regulations
- Describe the evidence for/against the role of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) in smoking cessation
- Rory Kim, PharmD, USC School of Pharmacy
- Richard Dang, PharmD, APh, BCACP, USC School of Pharmacy
- Edith Mirzaian, PharmD, BCACP, USC School of Pharmacy
Continuing Pharmacy Education
The California Pharmacists Association (#0113) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Upon completing an evaluation form, participants will be awarded 1.25 hours (0.125 CEUs) of Continuing Pharmacy Education Credit. A statement of credit will not be issued. Participants may log onto the CPE monitor website using their individual log in to download their statement of credit. Please allow 4 weeks for processing of CPE credits to the CPE monitor. UAN: 0113-0000-18-005-H03-P; 0113-0000-18-005-H03-T
Target Audience: Pharmacists and Technicians in all practice settings
Release Date: 4/11/2018
Expiration Date: 4/11/2021
What To Expect After Registration
After registration, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to participate in the webinar.
2018 Western Pharmacy Exchange Package Deal: $1,000 (CPhA Members), $2,000 (CPhA Non-Members)
*This session is 1 of 24 sessions in the package deal.
***No cancellations or refunds will be issued once user login information has been sent. Unfortunately, due to the online format of this program we are unable to offer exceptions to this policy. It’s recommend that each registrant review the course content prior to submitting payment to ensure the content meets individual educational needs. User has 30 days to complete the on-demand program from registration. If you have questions regarding course content or cancellation policy please contact CPhA at (916) 779-4524.