Over the past several decades there has been an emerging and persistent epidemic of opiate and opioid overdoses and deaths. Naloxone prescription programs have been implemented in the US based on the premise that naloxone be provided to individuals who may be in the best position to respond rapidly to an opiate or opioid overdosed patient. In 2014, legislation was passed to allow pharmacists to furnish naloxone in accordance with a state-board approved protocol. This program is designed to provide the required training of pharmacists to participate in the protocol.
At the completion of this knowledge-based educational activity, pharmacists will be able to:
- Characterize the pharmacology and toxicology for opiates and opioids and their response to naloxone.
- List risk factors for opiate and opioid poisoning toxicity and deaths as a guide to recognize patient populations who may benefit from treatment with naloxone in the home or community setting.
- Recognize situations involving the therapeutic and illicit use of opiates and opioids that are at high risk for toxicity and potentially requiring the use of naloxone.
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of naloxone products available for take-home use with their respective administration techniques, adverse effects, and end-points of therapy.
- Recite the stepwise approach to manage a patient manifesting toxicity from an opiate or opioid in the community setting.
Requirements to Receive CPE Credit
- Take the online pre-test
- View all five modules and two demonstration videos
- Successfully pass the online post-test with a minimum score of 70%
- Complete the online activity evaluation
Continuing Pharmacy Education
The California Pharmacists Association (#0113) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Upon completing an evaluation form, participants will be awarded 2 hours (0.20 CEUs) of Continuing Pharmacy Education Credit. A statement of credit will not be issued. Participants may log onto the CPE monitor website using their individual log in to download their statement of credit. Please allow 4 weeks for processing of CPE credits to the CPE monitor. UAN: 0113-0000-15-092-H01-P
What to Expect After Registration
After registration, you will receive a confirmation email with user login information and instructions on how to participate in this on-demand program.
|Registration Fees**||(Registration includes a 30-day subscription to this on-demand program)|
**No cancellations or refunds will be issued once user login information has been sent. Unfortunately, due to the online format of this program we are unable to offer exceptions to this policy. It’s recommend that each registrant review the course content prior to submitting payment to ensure the content meets individual educational needs. User has 30 days to complete the on-demand program from registration. If you have questions regarding course content or cancellation policy please contact CPhA at (916) 779-4524.