The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has announced that all Hydrocodone Combination Products (HCPs) will be rescheduled from C-III to C-II effective October 6, 2014. This change will impact how HCPs are prescribed and dispensed in California because the requirements for prescribing and refilling C-II drugs are more restrictive than for C-III medications. This “up scheduling” is a major change for California, where according to CURES, over 1 billion dosage units of HCPs were dispensed last fiscal year in California.
- Identify the policy rationale behind the DEA’s rescheduling Hydrocodone-Combination Products (HCPs) from C-III to C-II.
- Illustrate real-world practical effects on refills of new and existing prescriptions for HCPs.
- Discuss subsequent inter-professional relationship changes between prescribers and pharmacists.
- Evaluate how pharmacists’ corresponding responsibility works after this change.
- Tony J. Park, Pharm.D., J.D., Attorney at Law, California Pharmacy Lawyers, Law Office of Tony J. Park, Inc.
Continuing Pharmacy Education
The California Pharmacists Association (#0113) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Upon completing an evaluation form, participants will be awarded 1 hour (0.1 CEUs) of Continuing Pharmacy Education Credit. A statement of credit will not be issued. Participants may log onto the CPE monitor website using their individual log in to download their statement of credit. Please allow 4 weeks for processing of CPE credits to the CPE monitor. UAN: 0113-0000-14-047-L03-P
Target Audience: Pharmacists
What to Expect After Registration
After registration is processed and completed, a confirmation email with links to the webinar video and handouts will be sent. If you have not received this confirmation email after 24 hours, please contact (916) 779-1400 or email@example.com.
**No cancellations or refunds will be issued once user login information has been sent. Unfortunately, due to the online format of this program we are unable to offer exceptions to this policy. It’s recommend that each registrant review the course content prior to submitting payment to ensure the content meets individual educational needs. User has 30 days to complete the on-demand program from registration. If you have questions regarding course content or cancellation policy please contact CPhA at (916) 779-4524.