This innovative online course was designed to meet the two hour training requirement pharmacists need in order to begin furnishing Nicotine Replacement Therapy. The program will teach pharmacists the skills necessary to furnish NRT by protocol pursuant to Section 1746.2 California Code of Regulations. It will also review FDA-approved first-line smoking cessation medications as well as what to look for when identifying patients in need of therapy and how to counsel interventions by promoting existing resources.
A CPhA On-Demand Program
At the completion of this knowledge-based educational activity, pharmacists will be able to:
- List the FDA-approved first-line smoking cessation medications and describe their dosing, side effects, and precautions/ contraindications.
- Identify patients who are candidates for nicotine replacement therapy and after consideration of patient-specific factors design a treatment regimen (drugs, dosages, routes, frequency and duration of therapy).
- Furnish nicotine replacement therapy by protocol pursuant to Section 1746.2 California Code of Regulations.
- Provide brief smoking cessation counseling interventions that promote use of existing resources for additional comprehensive support such as quit lines, local cessation programs, and web-based programs.
- Lisa Kroon, PharmD, CDE, FAPhA
- Robin Corelli, PharmD, FAPhA
- Karen Hudmon, DrPH, MS, RPh
Continuing Pharmacy Education
The California Pharmacists Association (#0113) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Upon completing an evaluation form, participants will be awarded 2 hours (0.2 CEUs) of Continuing Pharmacy Education Credit. A statement of credit will not be issued. Participants may log onto the CPE monitor website using their individual log in to download their statement of credit. Please allow 4 weeks for processing of CPE credits to the CPE monitor. UAN: 0113-0000-20-110-H04-P
Target Audience: Pharmacists in all practice settings
Release Date: 6/03/2020
Expiration Date: 6/03/2020
Requirements to Receive CE Credit
- Take the online pre-test
- View all three modules and two demonstration videos
- Successfully pass the online post-test with a minimum score of 70%
- Complete the online activity evaluation
What to Expect After Registration
After registration, you will receive a confirmation email containing instructions on how to participate in this on-demand course.
***No cancellations or refunds will be issued once user login information has been sent. Unfortunately, due to the online format of this program we are unable to offer exceptions to this policy. It’s recommend that each registrant review the course content prior to submitting payment to ensure the content meets individual educational needs. User has 30 days to complete the on-demand program from registration. If you have questions regarding course content or cancellation policy please contact CPhA at (916) 779-4524.
About the Speakers
Lisa Kroon, PharmD, CDE, FAPhA is a Professor and Chair of the Department of Clinical Pharmacy in the School of Pharmacy at the University of California in San Francisco. She practices in the UCSF Medical Center’s Adult Diabetes Clinic and Diabetes Teaching Center, where she cares for people with diabetes and chronic illnesses. Her current research interests include interprofessional health education, tobacco cessation, and innovative practice models in the community pharmacy setting.
Robin Corelli, PharmD, is a pharmacist and Professor in the School of Pharmacy at UCSF. For nearly 20 years, Dr. Corelli’s primary research and practice related focus has been in the area of tobacco cessation. During this time, she has served a smoking cessation provider and she has extensive experience in training health care providers (students and licensed clinicians in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry and respiratory therapy) to provide cessation assistance to their patients who smoke.
Karen Hudmon, DrPH, MS, RPh is a Professor of Pharmacy Practice at the Purdue University College of Pharmacy and a Clinical Professor at the UCSF School of Pharmacy. She is a licensed pharmacist and a cancer prevention researcher. She has nearly 20 years of tobacco research experience, 22 years of experience in studying patient behavior, and has personally provided tobacco cessation training to nearly 20,000 health professionals (students and licensed clinicians) in the US and abroad.